Holiday Package Thefts
Online shopping offers a safe and comfortable respite from unruly crowds, but it has its own hazards. Many people who have gifts shipped to them have the packages left at their doorsteps by their carriers, and these unattended parcels prove irresistible to thieves, who need to do nothing more than walk away with them when no one's looking.
Here are some ways residents can safeguard the delivery of their order:
- If you believe that the delivery will arrive while you are at work, have the package delivered to your worksite/office, if allowed or practical.
- Have the package delivered to a trusted relative, friend or neighbor that you know will be home.
- Track the shipping and routing of the package. This is available and provided by most shippers and the US Postal Service. Contact the shipper, if there is a delay in receiving the package as scheduled.
- Arrange for the packages to be signed for.
- If you don't have a choice, provide instructions about where deliveries should be left, in a less visible location.