Victim's Assistance Information

Many Victim Assistance Programs (VAPs) are funded through the New York State OVS and are located throughout the State. These programs can assist you in filing your claim with OVS. VAPs can provide immediate help to victims and offer additional services that are not directly offered by OVS. Many of these services can be of great comfort and assistance to victims of crimes. For a listing of VAPs in your area, contact OVS directly or refer to their website.

As a victim of crime in New York State you should know:

  • You can get a free copy of the police report (NYS Exec. Law §646).
  • You are protected by law from threats or intimidation from the suspect or the suspect’s family. Local police departments and DA’s can explain these laws to you.
  • You have a right to be involved in certain stages of the criminal justice process. Local police departments and DA’s can explain your role in the criminal justice process, the important steps in the process, and how you can get information about those steps.
  • You have the right to make a statement at the time of the defendant’s sentencing, if you are the victim of a felony.
  • You have the right to be notified of the defendant’s incarceration status. You can call the Division of Parole at 1-800-639-2650 to provide your contact information.

For more detailed information on your rights as a crime victim.

Where can you get more information?

The New York State Office of Victim Services can help you find a victim assistance program near you.
Call: 1-800-247-8035 Or visit their website at